Pages

Wednesday 13 June 2018

SVA

In Reading, we are learning about the SVA. Here is what I learned: 

The Student Volunteer Army (SVA) originated in Christchurch following the devastating earthquakes of 2010 and 2011.The SVA has since become a multi-faceted movement with a focus on enabling New Zealanders to give back to their communities. Christchurch was struck with a 7.1 magnitude earthquake on the 4th of September 2010. In response to this natural disaster, University of Canterbury student, Sam Johnson, created a Facebook group called the “Student Base for Earthquake Clean Up”. Sam invited friends to join him in assisting local residents with non life-saving tasks, in particular removing liquefaction around Christchurch. Sam Johnson is the chairman of SVA. The SVA had 2,000 volunteers, now it has 75,000 volunteers. The SVA is helping NZ be a better place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.